San Diego, CA
HG Fenton, a private commercial real estate firm specializing in the acquisition, development and management of office, industrial, and residential communities throughout San Diego County is looking for an Assistant Project Manager to join their planning and entitlements team. The company has a deep pipeline and are long-term investors, so they are passionate about the design and the product. In partnership with the Land Planning and Entitlements Manager, the Assistant Project Manager will contribute to the successful implementation of development projects according to scope, schedule and budget, to support the achievement of Company growth objectives.
This role independently leads the execution of day-to-day project logistics in a way that supports the team’s ability to be more efficient and effective. This includes contract preparation and management, budgeting and paying invoices (in partnership with accounting), preparing and updating schedules, tracking and timely communicating key deadlines and milestones to the team, proactively collaborating with project teams consisting of both internal and external participants, and partnering with the Department Administrator/Executive Assistant to ensure that project documents are maintained in a clear and accessible filing structure. The Assistant Project Manager will also lead other tasks and duties as needed to take a development project from vision through implementation and will also be available to support and lead initiatives having to do with the organization, infrastructure, and communication of the Development Department.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT
Provides proactive support for real estate projects contributing to the timely and cost-effective completion of projects and achievement of the company’s strategic and business plan goals. Responsibilities may include:
- Collaborates with Manager and outside consultants as needed to create and regularly update milestone schedules, budgets, and project scopes appropriate to the phase of development of each project.
- Partners with Manager to review consultant proposals, review scope for completeness and alignment with project objectives and needs, consulting precedents when needed for comparison of both scope and budget. Provides recommendations for negotiation of final scope, and takes lead to finalize the consulting agreements.
- Anticipate and respond to project inquiries and needs to ensure continuous project momentum and eliminate bottlenecks, leading to the timely completion of key tasks by internal Managers and external consultants and contractors.
- With an understanding of business plan goals and project schedules, independently prioritizes tasks related to multiple projects all while staying in close communication with Managers, contractors, and consultants.
- Collaborates with key cross-departmental and external stakeholders to ensure completion of tasks and proactively informs Development Team of the status of completion. Maintains summary of key project milestones and outstanding issues across projects.
- Leads the Development Administrator/Executive Assistant to schedule meetings when needed to coordinate project items and ensure necessary materials and agendas are provided in advance.
- Serves as internal and external liaison with other departments, consultants, vendors, or contractors to contribute to the effective flow of communication and lead projects to successful completion consistent with the projects’ identified objectives and customer experience.
- Leads permitting logistics for all project approvals, maintains an understanding of processes and procedures within project jurisdictions and actively tracks permits through the approval process; timely notifies others when processes do not track schedule expectations; Leads the development of responses to comments among internal and external team members.
- Coordinates with Accounting Department to ensure timeliness and accuracy of budget reports, partners with development team to ensure that budgets are kept up to date on a regular cadence, including an accurate cost to complete, necessary budget adjustments, etc.
- Partners with Managers to track project support, stakeholder concerns, and work as a liaison with community and supporters as necessary to encourage project support and public hearings support the successful approval of projects by elected/appointed officials.
- Leads defined project outcomes as requested by Managers, including securing approval/cooperation from third-party approvers and stakeholders (e.g., post office, utility providers, etc.).Analyze zoning of site, context, infrastructure and development potential, and identify required zoning/regulatory changes. Understand local and state incentive programs for affordable housing and options for ministerial development, work with Development Analyst to assess the different possible scenarios and opportunities. Partner to develop the community outreach strategy for each entitlement project, including the approving agency engagement strategy. In addition, collaborate to affect policy and regulatory efforts necessary to preserve and enhance asset value.
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION MANAGEMENT
Leads the Development Team in achieving efficient and effective communication, with easily
accessible resources to document project status (scope, schedule, budget) and outstanding action items, for both internal and external team members.
- Responsible for leading proactive maintenance and organization of all documents and files (electronic and paper) and facilitates training for team members in file management and communication tools. Oversees the Development Administrator/Executive Assistant in executing regular audits and cleanup of files.
- Leads file management and communication cadence with external design consultants, ensuring current project plans and working documents are easily accessible, with the assistance of the Development Administrator/Executive Assistant.
Leads the administration of contracts, change orders, certificates of insurance and related
contractual documentation for development, commercial and residential building development to ensure timely execution of contracts and contribute to the ability to complete a successful
development project on time and within budget.
- Oversees the Development Administrator/Executive Assistant to ensure all vendors have current certificates of insurance and are aware of pending expirations.
- Leads the Development Administrator/Executive Assistant to prepare contracts, amendments, proposals and other contractual documents related to Land Development/Planning, Commercial and Residential Building Development; submits to responsible project manager for review.
- Leads the Development Administrator/Executive Assistant to prepare master and standard agreements, professional service agreements, exhibits, scopes of work, and project authorizations to ensure accuracy related to legal entities, contractual terms, support documentation, etc.
- Leads coordination with Legal Department and Development Administrator/Executive Assistant, as necessary, to support the development and execution of contracts that require significant deviation from standard forms, or complex negotiations (i.e., Architect Agreements, General Contractor Agreements).
- Prepares and generates accurate contract summaries based on consultant/contractor(s) proposal or scope of work, including exhibits and other attachments, to provide clarity and summation of contractual agreement for project team.
- Responsible for reviewing project invoices for validity/accuracy in conjunction with contract documents and scope of work, and that coding of invoice by accounting is against accurate commitment and/or job cost and cost code.
- 2+ years of land planning, environmental, and/or entitlements experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- High aptitude and someone willing to stand out.
- Careful with rules and proactive.
- Detail-oriented and conservative, with a preference for high quality and technical expertise.
- High standards and a disciplined and reserved personality.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Results- oriented, innovative and analytical with a drive for change.