With the current uncharted times we’re all facing and the tremendous shift to the global economy, many of us are feeling the impacts of shakeups in the job market. Whether you have recently been affected by layoffs and forced to think about a new job or are simply taking this time at home to better yourself and reflect on your career and future goals, now is the perfect time to pull your resume out of storage and give your professional image an update.
Top 3 Resume Tips:
- Bullets, Bullets, Bullets – Because hiring managers are sifting through hundreds of resumes per job opening, they are forced to quickly determine whether or not a candidate has the right skills for the role. If a hiring manager can’t quickly find what they’re looking for, they will move on to the next resume. Using bullet points instead of paragraphs, helps break down the content into a more easily comprehensible format. It’s a bonus if your bullets reflect actionable verbs and quantifiable successes.
- The One Page Rule – Historically a maximum of one page has been emphasized as best practice for a resume but it’s an outdated rule. As long as your job history commands it and your content is aligned and not full of fluff, a strong resume can easily be longer than one page.
- Tailor Your Resume to the Job – In some cases, your resume may not align directly with the various jobs you’re applying to. Take the time to read through the job description of your desired position and make notes of the requirements and skills with which you have experience. Ensure that those are clearly spelled out and exhibited in your resume. Having the right key words in relation to the job description is critical!
Whether you’re ready to apply for jobs or simply keeping your eyes peeled for the “perfect” role, I’d love to work with you with you to implement formatting upgrades that will make your resume relevant and appealing and/or content creation that will help you best tell your professional story.
Email me, Julia Turpit, at JETurpitConsulting@gmail.com to schedule an introductory call.
Areas of Expertise:
- Resume Formatting
- Resume and Application Content Creation
- Professional Summaries
- Cover Letters
- LinkedIn Profile Building